Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What Can I SAY?!! I've been AWAY!! So hide the kids... And lets "Party and Bullsh*t!!"


GUESS WHO'S BACK???? LIKE A HEART-ATTACK!!!!! *B-boy stance*

WOOOWW! WOOOOOW!! WOOOOOOOW!!!
Its been a while hasn't it? I really don't know what inspired me to pick up where I left off on this blog. Maybe its the exchange I recently had on twitter with a follower, or maybe it's the fact I always like to finish what I start, or maybe there's so much random news/music and sh*t to talk about.
Oh yea.. I still swear, so all those possibly offended, thanks for coming, but you might want to exit left now. For those who speak 'french' as a second or even first language... I'VE MISSED YOU!!!
I don't promise to be consistent with this sh*t, but I promise not to leave you for this long again... DEAL?? *spit shake*

This is insane and surreal, not just for you reading, but also for me writing. My last post on this blog was in 2008... TWO THOUSAND AND FREAKING EIGHT!!! Was 2-Chainz out of middle-school then??  *side-bar whisper*  Wait! Hold up!! Was 2-chainz ever in middle school??

Back on course... I've been on a long road whilst away. To be honest... I simply got Caught Up!! Caught up in the rat-race... that quest to park a shiny new, custom-built Bentley in my garage. But my love has always remained with you guys, and the intention to return, next to my heart. 

Since it's my first day back in school how bout we break each other in easy?? :-) So today's post is just to re-introduce myself to y'all. We'll keep it simple and make it about a song I'm listening to at the moment on replay.
Ain't nothing poetic, nothing here is gonna save/change the world... its just hot sh*t to bump in the car or while you're getting dressed for work... or the club... or the side of the road *HARD wink*

The phrase of the day is "PARTY AND BULLS**T!!" YES!! Say it LOUD... SAY IT PROUD!!! Don't get caught up in the bleeding rat race, chasing tails and isshhh... Relaaaaaaax a bit 'Kems. This is what I said to myself driving back from a meeting on Sunday (in my "not a Bentley"). The song in focus today, comes up on the playlist, and this phrase is craftily embedded in the fun lyrics and head bumping beat. Who says you can't be focused while you "Party and Bullsh*t" from time to time.

It was a SIGN!!! I missed you guys... It was time to come back.

Aaaaaalrrriiiigghhttty...
"Party and bullsh*t", the phrase made famous by the late, GREAT Notorious B.I.G, to the chagrin of "The Last Poets" (Re: The spoken word piece "When The Revolution Comes") but we won't get into them.... Mainly because, the intention delivered by Biggie his debut single is more... FUN..(er).
Anyway, this phrase (in the spirit of Biggie) has become a regular in the hip-hop colloquial dictionary, tossed around by artistes and cool kids alike. Bringing me to today's "Diggin' Out The Crates" delivery... FIRST POST IN FOUR YEARS.... *drum-roll* "It's Buuuuuuuurna Boy!!!"

About four months ago, while working VERY hard online... updating posts on my Facebook and twitter accounts (you will not understand the amount of finger grease you expend while typing YO?!!), I stumbled once again on the familiar name, "BURNA BOY!!". Before this day, I had on numerous occasions come across tweets/posts essentially knighting him as the "Prince of New Music". I remember a tweet from Nigerian (international) artiste, Wizkid, proclaiming for all twitterville to read "I f**ks with Burna Boy!!". At this point, I'm like, "Screw this!! I gotta check this boy out". Determined, I type "Burna Boy" into my google search, not realising that this would be the start of an obsession I am just barely getting over.

I click on the first video available for this "up-coming artiste" called "Like To Party" and as Naija (Nigerian) internet connection is 'consaiined', I got my ass on the 'buffer'. It's cool... I'm on that online 'multi-task' anyway. Half way through this interesting political piece I was reading (Read as: Commenting on @RemiAdetiba's facebook status), from no where I hear "You see my dark shades on, like I can't see you... But you know say me fancy you" WHOAAAA!! Where did that come from?? It continues, "Might say HELLO... Don't be surprised when I say HELLOOOO!!" At this point, I'm frantically pulling out minimized windows, trying to find where this sound is coming from... Well HELLLOOOO to you too, Burna Boy!!

Quick research reveals that this 21 year old as the grandson of Benson Idons, former manager of late AfroBeat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti... You can't descend any more direct from music royalty than this.

Born out of the earthy soil of Port-harcourt, Burna Boy is obviously influenced by the British-Jamaican scene (which he must have picked up while finishing off his Education in the U.K) and of course his roots in indigenous African grooves.

VERY delicious to look at, and with an "out of the box" type of flavour, Burna Boy's delivery on "LIKE TO PARTY" throws you back to that feeling you had when Mark Morrison's "Return Of The Mack" first became a hit.
It's a happy, musical celebration encapsulated in just over four minutes... Unmistakably built summer. A time of reckless (yet fun) abandon... "I came to Paaaarty, and Buuuuuuullls**T!! Got drunk and stumbled on TWOOOO chicks... SAY WHAAAAT?!! And after twwooooo drinks, I woke up in the bed like 'Whooooooo's THIS???' ".  I LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!
Where it really gets you, is the sing-a-long hook, "So I'm here with the girl them that like to paaaaarty... And move some body. To the leeeeeft!! To the RIGHT!!" At this point, your on that smooth two-step. You know that two-step executed with attitude and the stank face.
On this track, Burna Boy perfects the formula for a catchy hook. That hook that repeats itself over and bleeding over in your head waaaaaaay after you've pressed the stop button.

While out a couple times, I have been fortunate enough to have the DJ put this on the spin. And without fail, after the initial excited screams, it automatically gets the floor paired up in twos for a slow-wind two-step.
The lyrics, not likely to win an ASCAP award, however satisfy EVERYTHING anyone could ever want in a fun, summer song. All I see in mind is sun, beaches, girls in bikinis, men in trunks and Burna Boy with his shirt off, whenever I listen to this. Luckily I have enough time to fit all these visuals in (and in slow motion too), 'cos for almost two months, when my playlist hit "LIKE TO PARTY" it had to be on replay. I'm talking on rotation for at least twenty (no exaggeration) or more times before moving on. Gratefully, we can now safely go past the song with a five time re-play. Not bad 'Kemi *taps self on back*
I also don't need to waste anymore brain juice visualizing, as everything I could ever lust for in connection with the song, is found in the video. *Kemi pauses and soaks in picture above*


Because this is my first effort in four years, I'm a bit rusty, however I hope I have enticed you enough to check this lad out. His other efforts have not quite struck me as this song does, but he is someone to watch-out for, and DEFINITELY worth checking out.




And as a fun throw-back, Mark Morrision's "RETURN OF THE MACK". Heeelllooo 1996.

                                      







3 comments:

Shallie said...

Welcome back to the blogsphere..came here from fb..Great things to come..

http://aomosale.blogspot.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Fantastic writing miss...will definitely be checking out often

Ebs said...

ya know, you really hit the nail on the hit when you said it feels like the first time we heard return of the mack. the boy try.