Sunday, September 14, 2008

" Guaranteed to Let You Back in the House..."

Only because i cant sleep... I'm sure it's mainly 'cos my adrenaline is working over-time with my new blog. I cant believe I have one. I see a new addiction developing *'Kemi fastens seat belt* Anyway, you have a double dose today.

Oh Well! I'm posting up one of my favorite songs  EVER, sung by the man William Bell. William was a big proponent of the STAX movement. My Dad is obsessed with this sound. Others under the label you might find familiar; The Staple Singers, Isaac Hayes, Johnny Taylor just to name a few. I really dont know much about William Bell's career except that this song was done sometime in the 60's. He prolly was a flash in the pan, 'One-hit-wonder'; whatever you wanna call him, but this song simply ROCKS!!
Everyone and their mama has sampled it, from Jaheim's BEAUTIFUL offering "Put That Woman First", to the Alchemist produced "Worst Come to Worst" (luuurrvvveee it) for the Dilated Peoples. Others to have come across the sample are the Kanye produced "Down and Out" for Killer Cam, I know LUDACRIS messed around with it as well and a couple others i cant remember but my favorite samples have to be Dilated's and Jaheim's. Forgetting Dilated's for a moment, I think Jaheim version was the closest in emotional interpretation to the original. What i mean by this is, the original "I Forgot to be your Lover" is so powerful rekindles lost hope for me. For anyone that is jaded when it come to *shudder*   LOVE   *screws face* this is the song for you. I'm in that place now and i must say the opening lines of 

                 " Have i told youuuuuu, lately that i Love you
                    Well if I didn't darling I'm Soorrryy.."      
.. transports me to a dreamy place where all men are kind, sincere, gentle and trustworthy. HAHa! No, but seriously think about it for a second. William further stresses the point by crooning, 

                   "Did i reach out and hooollld you 
                     in my loving arms when you needed me
                     Now i realise that you need love too, 
                    and ill SPEND MY LIFE making it up to you
                    ohhhhh i Forgot To be Your Lover.. and Im sooooo sorrry.."    

 I mean... lets rewind this sh*t a second homie *sfx of sped up vinyl*  ...SPEND HIS LIFE? Dude did not hug his babe that morning (only that morning ohhh) and he is threatening to SPEND HIS LIFE making it up to her? COMEOONNNN!!! I definitely need me one of those. I hope 'it' comes with a raffle ticket where i can win even more of the 'good stuff'. For a song thats only 2:41 minutes long, it packs a MEAN emotional punch. I dare any man thats in the dog house with his wife, girl friend, 'understanding', life partner to play song/send them the link to this song and not 'get some' by the end of the day. I put good money and a house (thats not mine) on it. Especially at the end when the strings raise to the highest heavens and Mr. Bell belts over them in a pained voice,

              "...I forgot  to be your loveeeer 
                  gonna make it up to you somehow
                  ooooooh Im sorry, Im sorry baby..." 

How could you possibly stay mad to that. Do i DARE believe there's a thing like REAL LOVE? *'Kemi cradles chin in palm of hands and sighs*




For your merriment i'll include Jaheim's BEAUTIFUL version as well.  Wonderful song to forgive your man to ;-)  ENJOY!!


3 comments:

Chris Ogunlowo said...

It's a very beautiful blog you have.

Hi

Anonymous said...

wow!

You do have so much adrenaline

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.